Things to do in Laura
While in Laura:
- Explore the Quinkan Centre. Come in and learn about the heritage and the Culture of Quinkan Country; including aboriginal culture, rock art, the mining era, local celebrations,early settlement and more.
- Inspect World Renowned Rock Art Sites. Book a guided tour at the Quinkan Centre to a variety of sites with a range of accessibility. (See Rock Art page). Visit Split Rock self guided 12klms south of Laura approx 1 hour round site visit.
- Discover Laura by foot. The Laura Heritage Trail starts at the centre of the town opposite the pub. See relics of the gold and railway era along the walk, and even experience the confinement of an early police lockup and the historic railway bridge.
- Head into the natural wonder of Lakefield National Park. Queensland's second largest national park's entrance is just 27 km down the road.
- Meander along the Interpretive bush walk. (Currently Unavailable)
- Join in the celebrations at the Laura Dance Festival. This must experience event is the largest traditional indigenous gathering in Australia and the next festival will be held in June 2015
- Meet the locals at the Laura Races and Rodeo weekend. This enjoyable weekend of camping and entertainment is usually held on the last weekend in June. Contact the Centre for dates and further details.
- Meet at the Quinkan Hotel of an afternoon and enjoy a chat with the locals, camp, dine in and soak up the atmosphere.